UrbnEarth Associate Program
Build Stuff That Matters
Are you a dynamite product designer? A wizard of sorts at prototyping solutions? A certified psychologist when it comes to customer discovery and user experience? Live and breath design thinking? UrbnEarth is currently seeking out a Product Development Associate to sculpt the next phase of homegrown food technology and develop new products. We are a passionate gang looking for someone excited, creative, adventurous and hardworking to help us fulfill our vision of making UrbnEarth the healthy homegrown standard.
UrbnEarth is a Burlingame, California based company founded in 2013 by Phil Weiner who’s father passed away from diabetes. This spurred a personal journey of pursuing healthy, homegrown food. But now the notion of convenience has changed. It used to be throw something in the microwave and eat in front of the TV; however, now people want to have a more connected to the food and have a sensible involvement in the process.
Since that time, UrbnEarth has evolved from a single product to a more connected way to grow fresh organic salads in a way that is effortless and simple.
Our first product was the UrbMat Guided Garden that allows anyone with soil and sun to grow 12 different types of herbs, vegetable and flowers in as little as 30 days. We created GrowUps in the process, which made planting and refilling the UrbMat as simple as pushing a seedpod in the soil with your thumb. Our products have been sold in fine retail locations nationwide and in 20 countries. Departures Magazine featured us as a “Top Ten Gardening Trend of 2014”. Our team has received numerous awards from Popular Science, Points of Light, Dwell Magazine and has been featured in the Forbes, the New York Times among others.
The Program Areas
UrbnEarth invites you to come join us for a unique experience, including an 11-22 week paid, personal and professional development programming, executive speakers, mentoring, and community-building. This program is designed to provide exposure into product development, operations, design, marketing, crowdfunding and venture capital. You will be placed on teams across the business and be exposed to a few of the program areas based on your background. Here are just a few areas that we will focus on during the program.
- Product Development
- Project Management
- Community Building
- Public Speaking
- Negotiations and Contracting
- Venture Capital
You’ll work closely with creative and prolific engineers, designers, strategists and investors to help design and develop a new method of growing healthy food.
You will work with our Product Development team, brainstorming, prototyping, and testing new product ideas, while improving existing products. This role will require a keen eye for details, as well as the ability to step-away and see the bigger picture. Organization is key.
- Drive product development - from conception to launch - while working at lightning speed.
- Mapping the current product landscape
- Analyzing business, market, and technological trends and making appropriate recommendations for potential innovations
- Assisting Lead Product Engineer with sourcing and implementing strategies to consolidate UrbnEarth’s supply chain, when necessary
- Building the UrbnEarth brand and helping the company grow in its ability to lead and inspire the home grown food movement
- You are energetic and self-motivated--a critical and designer thinker with fantastic organizational skills.
- You have a do it yourself attitude, and have built things from scratch in the past.
- You enjoy strategic planning and can effectively recognize and plan around future consequences and trends that can maintain UrbnEarth’s image as an innovator in the food space.
- You are eager to learn or have background in the wholesale, direct-to-consumer and distribution industry and confident in your ability to navigate a supply chain.
- You're a skilled communicator and have an act for foreseeing opportunities and challenges before they arise.
- You pride yourself on your hustle and ability to consistently follow up and follow through
- You don't fold under pressure, but instead, thrive on setting high expectations for yourself, managing multiple tasks simultaneously, and meeting goals
- Most importantly, you are passionate about what we're doing at UrbnEarth!
- Unlimited water and coffee
- Free lunch on Tuesday and Thursday
- On-site hardware shop (3D printers, CNC, mentors, etc)
- Eat everything you grow
- Playing outside in the garden
- Work life balance
- Access to world class investors and mentors
- On-site collaboration with amazing entrepreneurs
- Walking distance to Caltrain
- Thursday educational lunches (Tandem brings in successful entrepreneurs to share their stories and learnings)
How to Apply
To apply please send your resume and brief cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include "Product Dev Associate" in the subject line.